Mount Pleasant was established in 1885 on land donated by Harvey Monroe Penland, (Mildred Woodard's great grandfather). It was located in the Elf community of Clay County. In 1941, TVA built the lake dam and flooded most of the area. Many families were displaced and the church members were advised to disband. God had other plans and a few of His faithful children continued to meet and follow where He led. As Lake Chatuge rose, it caused the road to the churh to change and it was decided in 1963 to relocate. Again, God's hand was on the church. The present site at 50 Marvin Cabe Lane was donated by Hub and Eva Danielson. A new brick church was built in 1964. As the members continued to follow where God led, the church contiued to grow and prosper as it reached out to the community in Hayesville through the preaching of the Word, doing missions, and cultivating friendships.
God was guiding us as we grew and it became apparent to the members that we needed to expand our building. A building fund was started and through much prayer and with God's blessing, we broke ground on June 8, 2003 for our present buiding. Again, God's hand was leading us and on February 17, 2008, we held a note burning ceremony to celebrate paying off the new building.
Today, we are in the process of adding a new Family Life Center! The grading has been done and the building will begin going up soon!
We are a diverse family of Christians with various talents, personalities and ideas. God is our Father and we pray that He will continue to bless us as His presence goes before us into the future!